To get the curved shape at the bottom of the codpiece I played around with a few foam designs and then translated them onto a piece of leather. Then I punched a bunch of holes to sew the piece up.
In the mean time, I sprayed all the nuts I had printed so I could get them looking a bit more like their metal counterparts. Thankfully, as 3d prints, they are pretty light, and mostly hollow.
Didn’t spend as much time as I could have cleaning them up since I don’t expect people to be looking at it too closely.
The seams on the codpiece section got sewn up, and then the whole thing was wet-shaped over a bowl to give it a bit more of a curve.
I busted out my contact cement and started the process of dipping each castle nut into the jar, then sticking it onto the leather. They set up pretty quick, and in the process I realized I had to revise my codpiece nut arrangement a little bit versus my earlier reference photo. Worked out alright, I think.
Once all the castle nuts were on, I used an awl, backed the leather with a bit of foam, and drove about a million holes into the leather in reasonable hexagonal arrangements so that I had enough to work with to sew the nuts down. Last thing I need at a con is for these things to come unglued, so it all had to be stitched to the leather.
The thread is pretty subtle, so I’m not worried about it showing. I decided to sew the car emblems down after gluing, too. I know the screen-accurate version does not have them sewn as such, but the screen-accurate version is also made using actual car emblems, which have solid-cast metal mounting posts for where they are attached to the body of a car, whereas mine don’t.